Boiled and Steamed Glutinous Rice Dumplings
Video Source: http://www.youtube.com/user/allstuff33
Picture below is the 2nd batch of dumplings which I have boiled using yellow raffia string. For steamed dumplings, I used red raffia string.
The significance of these dumplings is to commemorate a loyal and righteous official named Qu Yuan in Warring States period of ancient China.
Photo of Boiled Glutinous Rice Dumplings
Photo of Steamed Glutinous Rice Dumplings
Glutinous Rice Dumpling Recipe (for both boiled and steamed)
Ingredients : (14 dumplings)
– Glutinous rice : 700 grams
– Bamboo leaves (with strings provided) : 30 pieces
– 10 shallots (slice into small pieces)
– 1 garlic bulb (slice into small pieces)
– cooking oil : 4 tbsp
– salt and seasoning to taste
Ingredients for Fillings :
– Boneless and skinless chicken thighs : (cut into 14 pieces)
– Dry Mushrooms : 7 pieces (soak in water and cut into half)
– Dry chestnuts : 14 pieces
– Salted egg yolk : 14 pieces
– Dry shrimps : 1 tsp per dumpling (or as prefer)
– Seah’s, Instant Soup, Singapore Bak Kuet Teh Spices (or 5 Spices Powder)
– Braising sauce (refer to steps to cook for quantity)
– Sugar (refer to steps to cook for quantity)
Recommend You Seah’s Powder, You can buy the pack below if You like.
Method and Steps of Wrapping and Cooking Glutinous Rice Dumplings :
Prepare before hand :
(1) Soak glutinous rice in water for 6 hours.
(2) Soak bamboo leaves and strings in boiling water before use. Drain water and set aside.
(3) Soak dry chestnut in water for overnight. The next day steam or boil it before use.
(4) Marinate chicken pieces with 3 tbsp of braising sauce, 1 tbsp of spice powder and 1 tsp of sugar, keep in refrigerator for overnight.
(5) Soak dry mushrooms until they expands, squeeze out the water, trim the stem, cut into half and marinate with 2 tbsp spoon of braising sauce and 1 tsp of spice powder. Keep in refrigerator for overnight.
Steps of Wrapping and Cooking the Dumplings :
Before wrapping the dumpling,
1) Drain water, heat up pan with 4 tbsp of oil, fry shallot and garlic until fragrant, add in glutinous rice, some salt and seasoning to taste, fry and mix all ingredients evenly. Set aside.
2) Wash dry shrimps and fry until fragrant and crispy before use.
Steps of wrapping using strings provided in bamboo leaves packet.
(1) Overlap two bamboo leaves lengthwise. Hold the leaves with your hands, fold at one third (1/3) of the leaves to form a cone.
(2) Fill and spread the bottom of the cone with 2 tbsp of glutinous rice.
(3) Add in the fillings.
(4) Cover 2 table spoons of rice on top of the fillings, press tightly.
(5) Use left hand to pinch the cone into triangle, use right hand to cover the rice using end portion of the leaves.
(6) After covering the rice with leaves, use left hand to hold the dumpling firmly.
(7) Fold both sides of the protruding leaves downward along the shape.
(8) Circle the dumpling with string for two rounds tightly, then tie a knot. Tie another knot with a loop.
(9) Glutinous rice dumplings ready for boiling.
(10) In a big pot, with high heat, boil enough water to cover the dumplings. Once the water boils , add in dumpling, with pot cover, boil for an hour.
Steaming Glutinous Rice Dumplings
Steaming time for glutinous rice dumplings is one and a half hour.
Photo of Boiled Glutinous Rice Dumpling with sweet chili garlic sauce.
Photo of sliced open steamed glutinous rice dumpling with sweet chili garlic sauce